My name is Claudia Fuentes and I am a very concerned Father with a young child in the Calgary Public Education system.
Like many of you, I am concerned about the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) and their constant attack on Parental rights, choice in Education and the fiscally irresponsible behaviour putting an increased burden on parents in this very difficult time.
Spending is out of control, fees are increasing and transportation issues are placing families in a very difficult situation. Students have been unable to obtain the school quality they deserve midst the lockdowns. Instead of just sitting around and yelling at my TV, radio and social media, I have decided to run for Trustee for the CBE. I am putting our children first. I am officially registered as a candidate for our area and will appear on the ballot on October 18, 2021.I need your vote to get elected so I can bring Parental Rights, Transparency, School Choice and fiscally responsibility back to our school board.
HERE ARE SOME QUICK FACTS:
- In May 2020, the CBE was audited for running a shortfall. The Education Minister ordered thisbecause of “reckless misuse of taxpayer dollars”. The release of the audit comes as the board deliberates its latest $1.37 billion budget, left a deficit of $62 million despite proposed cuts,increased fees which forced the province to offer an additional $20.6 million in funding.
- When compared to other school boards, the CBE has the highest administrative costs.
- In 2010-11, the board trustees locked themselves into an expensive, 20-year office lease in which they are paying more than it would cost them to purchase the building.
It is clear that the current group of school board trustees are not fiscally responsible.
- Fiscal Responsibility - We need financial stewards that will stop having shortfalls.
- Stop The Blame Game - All levels of government are struggling with revenues and the CBE consistently blames the provincial government (no matter who is in power) rather than takingresponsibility.
- Parental Consent - I strongly oppose any policy or law which bypasses parental consent andinterferes with the parent/child bond. Parents know what is best for their child; not government,bureaucrats or activists. Parents MUST be included in all discussions regarding their childrenexcept in rare and unique circumstances, in which case schools are obliged to involve otherresources such as social services. As primary caregivers of their children, parents must beinformed, involved, consulted, and notified. This is in the interest of the child’s safety.
- School Choice - In the province of Alberta, there is tremendous diversity found amongstfamilies. Our diversity is what helps make our province strong! For this reason there must be avariety of options available to every parent when they are looking for the best placement for theeducation of their children. Freedom to attend a public school, a faith-based school, anindependent school or to home school should always remain a choice. There are many reasonswhy children may attend a certain school. Children learn best and families flourish where thereis choice.
- Standardized Testing - Standardized testing such as the Canadian Test for Basic Skills and Diploma examinations ensures a set of basic educational skills is being met by students.
These are just some of my solutions, but, I want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU CAN DO! – You can help in the following ways:
- Tell me your concerns by filling out a survey
- Donate - I rely on people like you for my financial support and any amount will help in this campaign in Putting Our Children First. Please donate now
- Volunteer - I need help door knocking, working the phones, dropping literature, and more
- You can call me at 403-629-6918 or email Claudia@TakeBackTheCBE.ca to get involved
Claudia Fuentes has been a resident of Calgary since 2001. Claudia Fuentes has raised 2 children. Claudia is 47 years of age.
Claudia Fuentes graduated from the Universidad de Concepcion with a BA In Forestry Science and a Professional Certificate in Foresty Land Appraisal. Claudia also received her Bachelor of Applied Geographic Information Systems (GIS) from Sait.
Claudia has extensive work history with companies such as Martin Neby Consulting, Divestco Inc., AMEC and Points Integrated Data Solutions and is the owner of Olive Massage and Wellness.
Claudia speaks English, Castellano / Spanish and basic Brazilian Portuguese.
Claudia has volunteered extensively in our community for The Sparrow House (helping women to exit sexual exploitation in Calgary); The Alpha House (feeding the homeless every other Saturday) and The Walk YYC (street outreach in Calgary).
Claudia is undergoing training with the Canadian Leadership Institute (CLI) and is a member of the Progressive Group for Independent Business (PGIB).
Public School Board Trustee Candidate Ward 3 & 4